Animals

Teenager Who Got Shark Repelling Armband For Christmas Gets Bitten By Shark

Zack Davis started surfing when he was a kid, and never had problems with sharks in that time.

Shark attacks are very rare, but one company has decided to sell products to “prevent” shark attacks. The ‘shark repelling band’, called SharkBanz gives out a magnetic field which is designed to disrupt electro receptors that sharks use to navigate in the waters.

Zack decided to purchase one for $80, just in case he encountered a shark one day.

The mother is demanding a refund for the SharkBanz after her son got attacked by a shark while wearing one.

 

nfrom Chris Murphy 01634 686 515nA schoolboy never attacked by a shark wore his shark repellent armband Christmas present for the first time, and was BITTEN BY A BLACK TIP.nThe ironic attack left him with stitches to a painful arm injury.nAnd his mother, in Florida, is outraged and is seeking a refund from the maker of the apparent anti-shark device.nThe local CBS12 channel reports the teenager ended up in hospital with a large jaws bite on his arm.nWith his arm now bandaged and back home, Zack Davis told the station: "I just got out of the water as quickly as possible because I didn¿t want to get hit again."nIt happened near Avalon Beach State Park on North Hutchinson Island.nZack's right arm has a giant jaw mark on it, now covered in stitches. His doctors say it looks like the work of a black tip shark.nIt happened when the Vero Beach High School student wanted to catch just one more wave Tuesday.n¿It didn¿t look bad. There weren¿t any bait fish or anything,¿ said Zack Davis, "I felt it hit because my hand was on the sand and I was getting turned by the wave and I felt it grab on like 2-3 seconds and I came up out the water and was like I just got bit."nZack did some quick thinking in blood-stained water, he told CBS12.n"It was like shocking. It wasn't really painful. Honestly I wasn't really in pain I was just like oh my gosh I need to do something with this quick, so I just took my leash from my board and just wrapped it around my arm because I didn't want to lose any blood." Zack said.nIt left him with 44 stitches.n"It held on for less than 3 seconds. I didn't even have a chance to hit him or anything." Zack told the station.nIronically, he was wearing a new band with magnetic technology that advertises it repels sharks away from swimmers.n"I got this for Christmas,¿ Zack said. The green plastic band that looks like a watch with no face "is a shark band and it was supposed to keep sharks away and the first time I wore it, and I go surfing a lot, but the first time I wore it- I get bit."nZack's mom, who is shaken by all this says she hopes to at least get her $80 back for the Shark Banz that didn¿t work.nThe station said it has contacted the arm back maker, but has yet to get a response.nendsn

‘I just got out of the water as quickly as possible because I didn’t want to get hit again,’ he said.

“It was like shocking. It wasn’t really painful,” he told CBS12. “Honestly I wasn’t really in pain I was just like oh my gosh I need to do something with this quick, so I just took my leash from my board and just wrapped it around my arm because I didn’t want to lose any blood.”

ad_230397865

Zack was rushed to the hospital, where he had to have 44 stitches to repair the damage.

“I got this for Christmas. It is a shark band and it was supposed to keep sharks away and the first time I wore it, and I go surfing a lot, but the first time I wore it- I get bit.”

SharkBanz told CBS12 in a statement:

“We’re in the process of gathering all known facts about the encounter from the victim. It’s important for us to assess all the information regarding the circumstances in order to understand the shark’s behavior, what ultimately caused the bite, and whether it was preventable.”

“We’re relieved to see that Zach is already patched up and out of the hospital with plans to return to the water as soon as he’s able.”

“SharkBanz is giving Zack new wristbands and company scientists reviewed the incident and believe the shark let go of the boy’s arm quicker because of the technology. They also believe, according to their review, Zack fell on the shark and startled it, which led to the rare and unpreventable attack.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending Now

To Top